Valentine’s Day isn’t just about booking restaurants with your partner only to eat mediocre over priced food from an oddly arranged set menu in a room filled with other lovers. The month of love for me, is about realising what you love doing with your time and ensuring you do more of it. Below I share a few reasons why I love doing embroidery.
1. I like how calming and relaxing embroidery is. I like how I can listen to podcasts and music while I’m sewing to create my own world with any outside distractions.
2. It’s so mobile and I can do it absolutely anywhere, as long as there’s good lighting and a comfortable chair, preferably with back support.
3. Embroidery reminds me of how far I’ve come form when I first started sewing 15 years ago at London College of Fashion. The first time I stitched something I didn’t even use a hoop. My tutor at the time gave me a serious side eye and my told me to go get myself equipped. There are still so many stitches to learn but I’m so much better at embroidery than I used to be.
4. It boosts my confidence and lets me know that I can learn a lot if I research and put my mind to it. Last year I taught myself how to do a French knot which used to scare me because they looked so complex. But with patience and time I mastered it.
5. I absolutely love organising my threads, they look so good when I have my materials in order.
6. I love that I can apply it to anything and work from so many references. I have an abundance of ideas I can execute simply from using a needle and thread.
If you’re in need of some background noise while you stitch download my love inspired playlist here. I’m Rebeckah, a textiles designer and founder of Embellished Talk.